Re: Shutdown computer after a specific command has been executed

On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 13:11 +0000, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 05:42:17PM +0600, Muntasim-Ul-Haque wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I need a tool that would make sure that, my computer would shutdown after a
> > specific command has been executed. This tool would just wait for the Terminal
> > for executing a command, like 'sudo apt-get upgrade' and then after the command
> > has been executed, my computer would shutdown. Is that possible? Is there a
> > tool or anything out there that can do this for me? Let me know. It would be of
> > great help. Thanks in advance.
>
> Others have given useful advice on how to achieve this, but I'm
> curious: WHY ?  It appears non-sensical to upgrade a box and then
> switch it off?   Not even reboot!?
>
> I may be a purist, but I find the whole notion of "shutdown" or
> "reboot" abhorrent. That's something you'd do before physically moving
> a desktop (perhaps: suspend-to-disk seems better here), or after a
> kernel upgrade (but then it is "reboot", not "shutdown").

Even a kernel upgrade doesn't need a real reboot, there's another way,
but it's OT. A reason to run an upgrade and after that to shutdown might
be that you want to leave home and only run an upgrade before you go
away and the computer should not be on, when you're not at home. I
wouldn't recommend it, IMO it's better to take care when upgrading.