Re: Reporting missing package during install

On Sunday, December 08, 2013 07:01:50 PM Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Saturday 07 December 2013 21:36:30 Bob Proulx wrote:
> > If you look back in the mailing list archives you will find a
> > recent discussion where there were some people who didn't like
> > sudo.  I was shocked by that because I always thought that most
> > people liked it.
>
> Yes, I don't like it and always want a root password.  As you say,
> this is and has been contentious.  I personally am better having to
> use a different password in order to do admin tasks.  I am just too
> accident prone to use the same password for everything.  And if I am
> going to set up a separate administrator, that administrator might as
> well be root.
>
> I am the only user on my box, which I think is relevant.  And my
> husband actively doesn't want to be able to mess up his system.  My
> granddaughter felt the same.  My husband has explicitly asked me not
> to tell him his root password.
>
> Horses for courses?  "I may not agree with what you say, but I will
> fight to the death for your right to say it."

Quite sensible. In your circumstances.

For me, I usually set up 'sudo su' to become root without password on my
desktop because I am always becoming root for one reason or another (to run my
kvm-go script that starts KVM sessions, to clean up my smoothwall builds, to
allow the smoothwall build system to become root as needed, etc.) On other
systems, I usually use 'su' and enter the root password.

System flexibility is the key to enabling people to work how they need to.