No Video

Dear List  -

I was having problems with the video on my Linux box; ie no video, only terminal after an update.  I am running jessy/sid 32 bit.  The question was whether the hard drive and/or the Intel video chip on the board were bad.  A disk test showed no errors,  and a clean boot from a live CD showed that the video chip was good.

The question now is how to heal the system.  A new install, preserving the /home directory is not an option, since I have a broken DOS partition on the hard drive.  An install will remove the DOS partition, which has a large amount of critical data.

So.....

How do I repair the broken Linux partition?

TIA

Ethan