Re: New install (intel) can't video mode-switch

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:00:03 +0100, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Frank Miles wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>> >
>> > What graphics card do you have there?
>>
>> There is no graphics card - the CPU does the graphics.
>
> But if you didn't have a graphics adapter then you wouldn't have
> anything to plug the cable to the monitor into!  :-)  Almost certainly
> you are using the onboard one.  In this case most likely the Intel
> integrated graphics controller.
>
>   lspci
>   lspci | grep VGA
>
> You should see some type of graphics controller listed.  Probably an
> Integrated controller.  Being integrated onboard it still resides on the
> bus.

Yes, of course.  I guess I took your question about a 'card' too literally.
lspci -> VGA compatible controller: Intel corporation Haswell integrated
	graphics controller (rev 06)

>> Yes, I installed the nonfree firmware excepting a whole lot intended
>> for wifi devices that aren't in my system.
>
> I would then check 'dmesg' for any errors.  In particular I would look
> at the KMS (kernel mode setting) parts.  In recent Linux kernels they
> have made massive changes to the console.  It is possible, perhaps even
> likely, that the problem is KMS related.

Other than an ACPI 'namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (which occurred
in the past - if I try to boot without the rescue disk it doesn't leave
anything new in the logs).  This makes me suspect a disk-related problem
(for the boot issue, not the video mode-switch), but how or why??  I haven't
seen anything explicit regarding KMS, but I may have missed it - will look
further.

> Other than this I have no ideas.  Hopefully someone else will have a
> better suggestion.
>
> Bob

Thanks for trying!  I hope so too.