Re: php 5.2 on debian wheezy

Roland RoLaNd wrote:
> An application we're using is in need for php5.2 and we lack the
> time to make it work with the latest version.

PHP 5.2.6 was the stock version in Debian Lenny 5.

You are aware of the problems with running dead code such as this?  No
security upgrades.  Possible vulnerabilities.  It isn't without problems.

> google search shows a lot of 5.3 to 5.2 downgrade for squeeze but
> not for wheezy naturally.

  PHP 5.2.6 for Lenny 5
  PHP 5.3.3 for Squeeze 6
  PHP 5.4.4 for Wheezy 7
  PHP 5.5.6 in the curent development

Most people have have dealt with it either by moving on or by freezing
on older systems.

> May i ask if anyone has done so recently, and if you could provide a
> how to?

There are probably two reasonable strategies.  I don't know which
would be more successful for you.

1. Add this to your sources.list file.
     deb http://archive.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free
   Then 'apt-get update' then try to install the old version by
   explicit version.
     apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5=5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny16
   I didn't try that and I don't know what fiddling it would need to
   work successfully.  It might not be possible with the current
   Apache.  The entire Apache system might need to be downgraded.
   This might work or it might be quite a mess.

2. Operate the legacy system in a chroot.  This is the better choice
   in my opinion.  It keeps things contained in case one of those
   issues occurs.  I would proxy to this from the main system.  This
   is a little more complicated but is guaranteed to work.  And yes, I
   know this because this is exactly what I am doing on one of my
   systems where I am in exactly the same situation.

   Not having much more time to write I will simply mention the wiki
   page on chroots.  It isn't quite specific to your problem but
   should be enough hints to get you going.

     https://wiki.debian.org/chroot

Please write more if you wish more discussion of either of the above
options.

Bob