Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Sun, 2013-11-24 at 23:04 +0530, AP wrote:
> DEB vs RPM

This are 2 of several formats that are handled by package managers. I
prefer DEB over RPM, but what I like the most, is the package format
used by Arch Linux.

Yes, Linux is the kernel, but the word Linux usually is used for a
complete install, kernel and user space too. Distros can differ. Very
common is that they use different startup processes, Debian does use
initscripts by default, IMO the best, Ubuntu does use upstart and most
major distros nowadays use systemd.

We need to know more about your skills and what you want to do using
Linux. Even then we might have different opinions what distro is the
best one to use. If you have special needs, such as CNC, then the choice
isn't that large, if you need the computer for mailing, web browsing,
office work, then the available distros are many and what distro is the
best, is much harder to tell.

IMO the only good hint I can give, is to use a major distro with a huge
community. I'm not using Debian myself at the moment, but IMO it's a
good distro to start and perhaps to stay with it forever, or after a
while to take a look for a distro, that might fit better to your needs.
With the knowledge you will have after a while, a decision is easier.

Regards,
Ralf