Re: NAS hdd's in Debian desktop computer?

On Nov 22, 2013 7:42 PM, "Kelly Clowers" <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 5:13 AM, Jon N <jdnandroid@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>

> > Which leads to my questions.  If the NAS drive is installed in a
> > desktop computer running Debian Linux what is the result of this?
> > Will this command just be ignored?  Will the shorter time the drive
> > spends trying to perform whatever operation it's having a problem with
> > cause a problem if the OS does not have a way of dealing with this?
> > How else will will this affect my system?
> >
> > In my online searches I have seen many results dealing with using
> > desktop drives in NAS's, but nothing (so far) that addresses the issue
> > the other way around.  So any light you can shed on this will be
> > gratefully appreciated.
> >

> Both mdadm and a real HW RAID controller will kick
> a drive out of the array if it takes too long to
> respond. Mdadm is by default set higher than HW
> RAID, though. Either way, it just means less chance
> of a false positive drive failure.

It won't be in a RAID, I was just thinking of using it as a regular hdd. Since there won't be RAID controller, and as far as I know Mdadm won't be running (does it run if I don't set up a RAID?) I was wondering how it, or if, it would affect the system.

Thanks,
Jon