NAS hdd's in Debian desktop computer?

Hi,

I've been shopping around for new hardware to build a new desktop
computer for myself.  This would be both a MythTV frontend/backend, as
well as for general purpose computing (which for me means mostly
internet browsing and email, but occasionally I use LibreOffice, view
PDF's and similar non-exciting things).

I realized that with the hardware I have picked out so far I have the
opportunity to have a fairly low power, as in it will not use a lot of
electricity, computer.  And I like that idea very much.

I thought picking a hard drive would be mostly a no-brainer.  I had a
particular manufacturer and model line in mind.  I have one of these
already and it works without problem.  But, the reviews show a _lotS
of complaints recently of either DOA's or failures after only a few
months.  Even though I know reviews are not perfect, I do rely heavily
on them for product comparison.

I did notice though that the model line of hard drives listed as for
use in NAS's had a much better user review rating, and also had
similar power usage ratings as the energy savings models.  But I can't
figure out if there are any reasons not to use one of these drives in
desktop system.  So far, about the only potential issue I can see is
something called "(...) Error Recovery Control".

If I have this correct, if a desktop drive is having problems reading
something it just keeps trying for a long time (I haven't found any
reference as to how long, but it's longer than a NAS drive).  This
would cause a NAS to think the drive was broken and ignore it.  A NAS
drive on the other hand will try for a shorter period of time and (if
it still fails) report the problem to the NAS so the NAS OS can take
steps in correcting it.

Which leads to my questions.  If the NAS drive is installed in a
desktop computer running Debian Linux what is the result of this?
Will this command just be ignored?  Will the shorter time the drive
spends trying to perform whatever operation it's having a problem with
cause a problem if the OS does not have a way of dealing with this?
How else will will this affect my system?

In my online searches I have seen many results dealing with using
desktop drives in NAS's, but nothing (so far) that addresses the issue
the other way around.  So any light you can shed on this will be
gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon