Re: eth0 "disabled" after upgrade Squeeze to Wheezy

On Friday, November 15, 2013 11:38:16 AM Lisi Reisz wrote:
> Thanks, Andrei,
>
> On Friday 15 November 2013 16:15:20 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Vi, 15 nov 13, 15:06:59, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > > I have just upgraded a client's computer to Wheezy.  It appeared
> > > to go well and there was certainly an internet connection: it
> > > would not have been able to upgrade otherwise!
> > >
> > > Now there is  none.  I have checked /etc/network/interfaces and
> > > changed "allow-hotplug" to "auto", just for something to try. :-(
> > >
> > >  It made no difference.  I pinged the gateway, largely so that I
> > >
> > > could report that I had done so.  I got the error message
> > > "Network is unreachable".
> > >
> > > KControl tells me that eth0 is "disabled".  How and why is it
> > > disabled?  More importantly, **how do I enable it?**
> >
> > How is the network configuration handled? Network Manager,
> > ifupdown, etc.?
>
> /etc/network/interfaces file and ifupdown, etc..  (Network Manager and
> I are not on speaking terms.)
>
> Lisi

'ls /sys/class/net' to see all known network devices.
'ip link' to see their states: up/down, (no)carrier, PtP/broadast, et alia

If eth0 is there and appears to be a broadcast medium with carrier present,
you can manually bring it up and verify connectivity:
-----
ip link set dev eth0 up
ip addr add 192.168.0.2/24 dev eth0
ip route add default via 192.168.0.1
ping 8.8.8.8
-----

If it works, then the immutable bit in my previous message should aim your
20mm cannon on the guilty culprit.