Re: eth0 "disabled" after upgrade Squeeze to Wheezy

On Vi, 15 nov 13, 18:34:36, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> I did - and have just checked again.  network-manger is preceded by
> a "p" if I do an "aptitude search network manager".  Pity.  Removing
> network-manager would be so simple!!

Ok, considering that your previous setup was DHCP I would try setting up
the connection "manually".

# dhclient eth0

If this fails (and please post the error messages) you could even try to
set it up manually (this time without the quotes):

# ifconfig eth0 192.168.... netmask 255.255.255.0 up
# route add default gw 192.168.....
# echo 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' > /etc/resolv.conf

(this of course assumes you can get the relevant information about the
local network)

If this works you'll know the basic infrastructure works and you can
look at why ifupdown is failing. BTW, did you try reinstalling it? What
does dpkg think about it:

$ dpkg -l ifupdown

Other things to check:

$ aptitude search '?broken'
$ dpkg --audit

Check also the output of 'mount' and compare to /etc/fstab. See also
that /run exists (it should be a tmpfs).

Did you try booting text only? For kdm the simplest method seems to be

# update-rc.d kdm disable ; reboot

(you can reverse this with 'enable' or 'defaults')

Hope this helps,
Andrei