Re: Questions about new hardware & Debian (or Linux in general)

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html
>
> There you go; now you can be aware of it.
>   3.1 Pre-Azalia:
>
>   Some older GPUs included a connector to receive S/PDIF audio
>   from a separate sound card, and route that audio over HDMI. This
>   document does not cover such devices at all.
>
>   3.2. Azalia:
>   Newer GPUs include a fully-fledged sound card, implemented
>   according to the Intel HD-audio ("Azalia”) specification. This
>   document covers such devices.

Well, thank you very much.  Actually, I had already posted a question
on the MythTV mail list about this question before I saw your reply.
They say they do this (use the HDMI on a discrete card for audio) all
the time :-).  I read part of the page at Nvidia, it was very helpful.

Thanks,
Jon