Re: Questions about new hardware & Debian (or Linux in general)

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 10:15:03PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 11/12/2013 7:11 PM, Doug wrote:
> >> No, it won't be automatic.  And frankly I don't believe nVidia supports
> >> HDMI digital audio pass through, nor any discrete GPU card.  For
> >> argument's sake, let's say it does.  Then you run into the problem that
> >> the onboard audio chip can't pass digital audio through PCIe to the
> >> nVidia HDMI port.  None of them are designed to do this, that I'm
> >> aware of.
> >>
> >> If I were you I'd get a mainboard with with HDMI out and use the CPU's
> >> GPU.  Mobos that have onboard HDMI have their audio chips wired to the
> >> HDMI port, the chips support PCM/AC3 digital output, and selecting the
> >> HDMI output for digital audio is pretty straightforward.
> >>
> >> The Intel GPU should be plenty powerful enough for HD1080 output.  If
> >> you decide it's not, and want to add a discrete card, you'll need a mobo
> >> with coaxial digital SPDIF output, or Toslink optical digital output,
> >> and a TV or A/V receiver that is cable of using an HDMI input for video
> >> while using coax or Toslink for audio.  Nearly all modern A/V receivers
> >> support this.  WRT LCD/Plasma TVs I have no idea how many support this.
> >>
> > I have an NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti card in a machine with on-board
> > Realtek 662 sound
> > decoder. Normally--that is locally--sound is decoded by the Realtek on
> > the mobo.
> > The  NVidia card has a mini HDMI connector (I needed an adapter to
> > standard)
> > and the card has a sound decoder in it.
>
> This isn't the case.  All digital audio (AC3, PCM, DTS, etc) is decoded
> at the endpoint device.  In this case that is the TV or A/V receiver.
> Everywhere else in the path the digital audio stream is simply passed
> through.
>
> The trick with Linux is getting all of the devices recognized, and being
> able to select which 'path' the digital stream should take.
>
> > Using Windows XP, I could run a
> > movie thru HDMI
> > to my TV set and picture and sound would come thru perfectly. NVidia
> > provides a driver
> > for Windows that makes this "just work."
>
> And this is the key.  nVidia registers an audio output device that can
> be selected in control panel as the preferred output device.  WSS then
> directs digital audio through this device.  There is no such equivalent
> in Linux, that I'm aware of.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html

There you go; now you can be aware of it.
  3.1 Pre-Azalia:

  Some older GPUs included a connector to receive S/PDIF audio
  from a separate sound card, and route that audio over HDMI. This
  document does not cover such devices at all.

  3.2. Azalia:
  Newer GPUs include a fully-fledged sound card, implemented
  according to the Intel HD-audio ("Azalia”) specification. This
  document covers such devices.

-dsr-