Re: New laptop...........

Charlie wrote:
For CD-ROM BIOS updates in Windows 8 models: (1) Shut down the system
while pressing the SHIFT key to completely power off. (2) Power on
while pressing F2 to enter the BIOS Setup Menu.
Miles, you are the man, That worked.

Now please allow me to thank you. I trolled the net for hours last night
into the early hours till our solar batteries were at the limit.

Thank you for your good discovery skills.

You're most welcome, and Aww shucks :-)

(actually, I had to track the same thing down for another laptop, about a year ago - must have retained some memory of the search strategy - turns out to have been
"Toshiba C50D Satellite linux bios" - in case that's useful to someone else)