Re: who uses dual boot? [was: How to start using a free OS]

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 03:06:23 PM Nemeth Gyorgy wrote:
> > That's a very interesting point, but I wonder if it's true.  There are
> > real-world reasons to run both windows on linux on the same machine
> > (personal example: running Linux on my laptop for development and
> > demonstrations; running Windows for office applications).
> >
> > But, having said that, when one really uses two operating systems on the
> > same machine, I expect it's more common to run one under virtualization,
> > so you can run both at the same time - dual booting is a real pain if
> > one is really USING both operating systems.
>
> There can be a lot of reasons to use natively two operating systems on
> the same computer. One can have hardware which is handled only by
> Windows for example. Virtualization is a solution sometimes but there
> are always overheads and drawbacks. Sometimes it is not a real problem,
> in other cases it is.

With working hardware virtualization support and adequate RAM, the difference
should be nearly undetectable. This is true running Debian in vbox on WinXp on
my 2006 HP laptop w/2GiB RAM, and is true running 6 KVMs on Wheezy on my quad
Phenom II desktop w/16GiB RAM and 3TB of storage. The speed difference may be
measurable, but it is imperceptible for all intents and purposes.

If you do not have hardware virt. support, then VMs will run much slower.