Re: /etc/fstab question

David Christensen wrote:
On 11/10/2013 09:06 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I wish to have all users of all Debian installs on my laptop have
unrestricted access to everything on a particular partition. It
was
suggested adding a line to /etc/fstab would accomplish my goal.
/dev/sda5       /owlett                              ext2
rw,users,exec
On rebooting it failed with a "missing mount point" message. As
root I
did a mkdir.
There were no error messages on the next reboot.

Yes.  Mount needs an existing directory in the file system to
mount /dev/sda5.  'mkdir /owlett' was the correct solution.

However when I displayed the directory with Nautilus, the icons
for all
existing files and folders were flagged with the lock icon
adjacent.
They had been created under a Debian install which no longer is
present.
Is this the expected result?

If your system has the default UMASK of 0022 (e.g. no write
permission for 'group' and 'other'), then regular files will be
created with a mode of (in C) 0666 & ~UMASK, which equals 0644,
and directories will be created with a mode of 0777 & ~MASK,
which equals 0755.

So, yes, when you log in using a different account, you don't
have write permission for those files and directories, and
Nautilus is letting you know that with the lock icon.

Will doing "chmod -R 777 /owlett" allow all users of any Debian
install
having the edited /etc/fstab have unrestricted access to all
files and
folders on that partition?

You want 0777 for directories, but 0666 for files.  Use a
symbolic mode specification for 'chmod' that reverses the effect
of UMASK:

     # chmod --recursive go+w /owlett

HTH,

David

I'll have to re-read the chmod documentation and investigate UMASK.
Thank you.