Re: Upgrade all "kept back" packages

On 10 November 2013 16:17, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Beco wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>> > First verify your sources.list file.  I didn't see where you said what
>> > version of Debian you were using.  Stable Wheezy, Testing Jessie, or
>> > Unstable Sid.  Whatever.  Make sure it is consistent.
>
> I should have asked, can you post your sources.list file?  I see in
> your message that you are running Wheezy 7.  (But I can't say Stable
> since you have added many destabilizing things.)
>
>> >   $ apt-show-versions | grep -v uptodate
>>
>> Nice command. It shows me I still have "squeeze" on my system.
>
> Unless you have cleaned then old libs may still be hanging around and
> they will only be used by the old Squeeze part of the system.
> Probably need to do some cleaning.  The 'apt-get autoremove' tool is a
> good start for it.  I also like 'deborphan'.
>
>> I'm not quite sure what to do with this response:
>>
>> #  apt-show-versions | grep -v uptodate
>>
>> deb-multimedia-keyring 2012.05.10-dmo3 newer than version in archive
>> live-initramfs 2.0.15-1 newer than version in archive
>> vlc-nox/wheezy upgradeable from 2.0.3-5 to 1:2.0.1-0.6
>
> Ah, yes, there is the problem.  You see that the Merillat version has
> an epoch on the front.  The "1:" part.  That makes version 1:2.0.1-0.6
> newer than 2.0.3-5.  But not just that single package.  This will be
> similar across many packages.  But it shows the root of the problem.
> And it is why people have become annoyed that he is doing this.  It
> creates problems for people such as yourself that trip into the
> pitfall and then have to dig out of it.  Meanwhile the work he has
> done has helped many people for years.  I still use some of the his
> packages and am grateful that they are there.  And so I have mixed
> feelings about it.
>
>> libisc62 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8 installed: No available version in archive
>> libisccc60 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8 installed: No available version in archive
>
> These are good examples of old orphaned libraries.  Nothing is using
> them anymore.  They can be purged from the system.  They don't really
> hurt anything being there.  But they are lint and they confuse the
> issue so I would purge them.  Using deborphan (try 'orphaner') is good
> to find things like those and clean them out.
>
>> skype 4.2.0.11-1 installed: No available version in archive
>
> This is an example of something that is never going to be in the free
> archive because it is a nonfree component that you have manually
> installed.  If you want it then that is just the way things are going
> to be.
>
>> mplayer is uninstalled for now. The only problem I see is vlc.
>>
>> # apt-cache policy vlc-nox
>> vlc-nox:
>>   Installed: 2.0.3-5
>>   Candidate: 1:2.0.1-0.6
>>   Version table:
>>      1:2.0.1-0.6 0
>>         500 http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/debian-multimedia/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
>>  *** 2.0.3-5 0
> [...]

Hi Bob,

I think I got. I needed to downgrade everything in the same command line. Look:

# apt-get install vlc-data=2.0.3-5 libmp3lame0=3.99.5+repack1-3
libvlc5=2.0.3-5 libvlccore5=2.0.3-5 libxvidcore4=2:1.3.2-9
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
  libmp3lame0 libvlc5 libvlccore5 libxvidcore4 vlc-data
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 downgraded, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 6,234 kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,706 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

# apt-show-versions | grep -v uptodate epson-inkjet-printer-201215w
1.0.0-1lsb3.2 installed: No available version in archive
kde 5:66 installed: No available version in archive
kdebase 5:66 installed: No available version in archive

# deborphan --guess-all
kde:all

# deborphan
#

Now, guys, how come KDE and KDEBASE does not have archive candidates?

Where are they?

Thanks,
Beco.

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by
doing them" (Aristotle)