Re: /etc/fstab question

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sun, 2013-11-10 at 11:06 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
/dev/sda5    /owlett    ext2    rw,users,exec

Will doing "chmod -R 777 /owlett" allow all users of any Debian
install having the edited /etc/fstab have unrestricted access to
all files and folders on that partition?

I can't say anything about your fstab entry, but at least chmod -R 777
will permit the needed permissions, but then the permissions are the
same for other installs too.

I'm not sure "chmod -R 777" alone gives my desired result.
I'll have do see if I can DUPLICATE FROM MEMORY situation which led to question.
IIRC
I had created some folders and files on a partition as root.
Later realized I wanted read/write access as a normal user.
As root did chmod -R 777 which gave me desired access as normal user.
Later, for reasons I don't recall, I created more files as root.
Those files DID NOT allow write access to a normal user.

The question has become somewhat academic as another reply reminded me I could simply use a fat format. DUH! ;/ Especially as that's how I'm currently sharing some text files with my Windows machine.

Thanks.