Re: fsck on boot...revisited

Bob Proulx wrote at 2013-07-26 14:51 -0500:
> I always set FSCKFIX=yes in /etc/default/rcS and think that is the
> best default.

I agree with Bob's comments about this, in general, and have just now
gone and set FSCKFIX=yes on a particular server because it would be
better for it to boot with a partially corrupted rootfs than hang
during boot while waiting for input.  I hope it never matters, the
system is on a UPS.

It does seem good to somehow notify the user/admin when severe
corruption has been encountered (eg. on a desktop: "press y to try
fixing everything"), but also easier to pick up the pieces using
backups (and trusting that the fs is no longer corrupted) than worry
about whether <y> is okay for each of 500 times.