Re: fsck on boot...revisited

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 03:17:10PM -0500, green wrote:
> Tim Nelson wrote at 2013-07-25 09:28 -0500:
> > On occasion, we find that a filesystem error is bad enough that
> > instead of auto{matically|magically} fixing the issue and continuing
> > to boot, the system hangs, needing a root password entered for a
> > manual fsck to be run.
> >
> > My question is thus: How do I prevent that requirement to login and
> > run fsck manually? Is there some parameter that can be set? Or, am I
> > going about this the completely wrong way?
>
> You mentioned the FSCKFIX option; according to rcS(5) man page,
> setting it to "yes" in /etc/default/rcS will do what you want.  This
> causes fsck to be run with -y instead of -p which is somewhat
> dangerous but hopefully will in your case successfully repair the
> filesystem.

>From a usability point of view, there have been many requests
over the years to make FSCKFIX=yes the default.  However, from
a safety point of view, this is not fine due to the risk of
unrecoverable data corruption if it does the wrong thing.  We
would prefer the admin to take responsibility for any needed
actions prior to fsck (imaging the disc, backups, etc.) and
in some setups e.g. software RAID, it's possible we might
fsck parts of an unreconstructed RAID set and totally destroy
it.  There are quite a few other pros and cons, but that's
essentially the reason for it being opt-in; you take the
responsibility for the small chance it might do rather bad
things.

Regards,
Roger

--