Re: bc is not in linux-source debs.Recommended, neither in Documentation/Changes

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 11:33:20PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Regid Ichira wrote:
> >   I didn't get response for a similar post on
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2013/06/msg01262.html.  Is it
> > because the answers are too obvious?
>
> Probably because debian-kernel is overwhelmed with the daily grind of
> urgent bug reports.  What you are asking about is off in the
> hinterland regions of the borderlands.
>
> >   bc, an arbitrary precision calculator language, is a kernel build
> > dependency since a long time ago.  Should it be added to:
> >
> >     1. The Recommends field of linux-source-(version) debs.
> >     2. Compilation section of kernel-source:Documentation/Changes.
> >
> > ?
>
> Probably yes.  But since bc is priority standard it will exist on all
> Debian machines unless the admin intentionally removed it.  For
> example all of the project build machines building kernels would have
> it.  And we don't try to protect people from themselves.  You are
> allowed to break yourself.  So if you remove it that is okay.  Also it
> has apparently been like this for a long time.  So while I think you
> have uncovered a hole it is isn't an urgent one to patch.

Just as a datapoint, I recently made a debootstrap chroot of jessie in
order to compile a kernel (compiling on big amd64 machine for
installation on little i386 machine). I found I had to install bc (and
xz-utils, perl-modules and dpkg-dev) before "make deb-pkg" would
complete.

Maybe it's not practical for linux-source to depend on ALL the tools
that building a kernel might require, but being unable to do "apt-get
install linux-source && make deb-pkg" seems a little harsh.