Re: TRIM support with XFS

On 6/29/2013 1:46 PM, John Andreasson wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a question about XFS and TRIM on SSD. I'm unable to determine if I
> can use it in Debian 7.1. I have searched the documentation and found
> positive information on ext4, but not on XFS.
>
> Just to test I installed Wheezy on a ThinkPad equipped with an SSD and
> picked XFS as the root file system. After installing it I added discard to
> the mount options in /etc/fstab and rebooted the machine. Discard diesn't
> however appear in the mount options for the file system if I run the mount
> command. So it looks like it's not picked up when the file system is
> mounted.

Mount is miserly on the info it gives you.  Post the output of
~$ cat /proc/mounts

Then read this:
http://xfs.org/index.php/FITRIM/discard
and note [4]

For a single user desktop productivity system, realtime discard w/XFS
probably won't show a noticeable negative impact, but this obviously
depends on your workloads.  If you frequently delete very large files
(10s of GB), or very large numbers of files, then you may notice a slowdown.

--
Stan