Re: "termcap-compat" is still referenced in the Debian FAQ

On 06/28/2013 11:04 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2013-06-28 17:39 +0200, Joseph Lenox wrote:

Noticed that "termcap-compat" is referenced in one of the FAQ
questions on the website
(http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/debian-faq.en.txt,
4.7). The package does not exist on Wheezy, nor apparently (according
to the package history) since 2005. I'm unsure whether to file this as
a bug against the FAQ or the fact that the package is missing.
The former, I dare say.
Bugreport has been filed against debian-faq.
If I have a program to which I do not have the source (commercial EDA
tool) and it requires libtermcap.so.2,
Ugh.  How old is that program?

2011. It's VCS-MX from Synopsys. Their newest version of the software still uses it. I'll file a bug report against that software.

My "first" problem is that it assumes either RHEL or SUSE. Their shell scripts link to /bin/sh, but assume that /bin/sh -> /bin/bash (this is replicated across pretty much everything (specifically, using /bin/sh -h everywhere), prompting a dpkg-reconfigure to use bash instead of dash), use the host compiler (and pass it arguments like -melf_i386). I've filed bug reports, but I doubt anything will be done about it.

Their IC Compiler uses a local install of gcc-4.2.2 to compile SystemC and is coded to only accept that version. I had to recompile gcc from source with a patch to make it pay attention to the Debian method of doing x64 libs.
how do I satisfy this program the Debian Way?
You can get termcap-compat from archive.debian.net[1], but note that the
termcap library in it is linked against libc5 rather than libc6.  If
that is not what you need, various RPM-based distributions still ship
libtermcap[2], and you can convert an rpm package into a Debian package
with alien(1).
A solution that Works For Me (tm) is to symlink /lib/$ARCH/libtermcap.so.2 -> /lib/$ARCH/libncurses.so.5 This works because ncurses uses termcap's ABI. There's probably a reason that the libncurses5 package doesn't do this, but it would be convenient for these cases. Does anyone know why, or does this sound like something that should be filed as a report (wishlist or otherwise low-priority) against libncurses5? A cursory look through the bug system shows a wishlist bug for this very thing 13 years ago, closed because termcap-compat still existed. Guess it's time to report another wishlist bug.

--
--Joseph Lenox, BS, MS
I'm an engineer. I solve problems.