asus p9x79 pro: headphone does not mute speakers

Hi,

I have a Asus P9X79 Pro with AMD64 Wheezy, up to date as for today.
Whenever I plug in my headphone in the front panel my speakers, which
are plugged in the rear panel, do not mute. Which rather defeats the
purpose of the headphone ;-)

The manual of the board states that the audio is a "Realtech ALC898
8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC", which should support
jack-detection

lspci says (the NVIDIA is from my video card and its audio is not used):

lspci |grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 06)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio
Controller (rev a1)

But " cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec" produces;
Codec: Realtek ALC898

Is this all correct? Is there a way to make the headphone mute the
speakers?

TIA

Joost