Re: Dist-upgrade or upgrade. Which?

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:37:13AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> > From: Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk>
> >
> > On 22 Apr 2013, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >>  >
> >>  > It would be nice if you could trim that to one line.
> >>  >
> >>  >>> [snip]
> >>
> >>  Yes, it would, but I use Yahoo mail for this list, and that is Yahoo's
> > reply header.  I cannot have my own custom reply header, nor can I opt not to
> > have one at all.  At least, not that I've been able to find in the Mail
> > Settings.  I can, however, edit or erase it from any reply as I did above, but
> > sometimes I forget.
> >>

> > Another problem is that your posts are peppered with lots of codes which
> > make them annoying to read on a text-based email reader like mutt.
>

> Sorry 'bout that, but there's nothing much I can do about it from my end:  It's Yahoo Mail that's the problem.
>
> I have my mail set to "Plain Text" but since this is Web browser-based e-mail I'm sure it's not 100% pure ASCII.  I don't even think switching to a "real" e-mail account would solve the problem.  With almost everything these days graphic and web-based, smartphone and tablet, the days of pure ASCII e-mail are gone for the most part.

Actually, you're fine. Your message is sent "Quoted-Printable".

This is a way to encode 8-bit data (in your case ISO-8859-1) into a
7-bit (ASCII) form. Where you have characters that aren't "printable
ASCII" they're encoded as "=" followed by the hex code of the character
(so =0D=0A is a new line). It's then up to the MUA to decode those
characters and (if necessary) transcode the characters from ISO-8859-1
to the user's character set (in my case UTF-8).