Re: Dist-upgrade or upgrade. Which?

----- Original Message -----

Yes.  I am aware of this.  But it occurred to me:  Once Wheezy becomes Stable, the only changes made to its code will be security and bug fixes.  So, even a dist-upgrade should have the same effect as upgrade.  At least, as far as the Main repository is concerned.  Right?  Contrib, nonfree or 3rd party repos might have a different effect.

> As the stable distribution mainly receives security updates, performing
> an upgrade is enough most of the time. (Point releases might be
> different.)
>
> [snip]
>
> To put it short: irrespective of Debian flavour, my advice is to
> habitually perform upgrades and only use dist-upgrade when you see it is
> actually necessary in order to upgrade certain packages.

This is something I'd been thinking about.  What overall affect would mixing upgrade and dist-upgrade, if even only for select packages, have on a "Stable" system?  Could that possibly "break" it?  It was one of the reasons for my initial inquiry.