Re: Fixing a half-configured package

> Hello sirquijote
>

> Excerpt from sirquijote@lavabit.com:
>

> -- <snip> --
>
>> The usercommands script is just a simple one-liner that I inserted to
>> turn
>> off my laptop's screen on boot, just before login:

>> #! /bin/sh
>> # /etc/init.d/usercommands
>> #
>>
>> # Turn off the display on boot
>> vbetool dpms off
>>
>> exit 0
>>
>> That's all it does.  Is there some way I can re-implement that command
>> avoid having to learn how to use LSB tags?  That skeleton file is just
>> gobbledy-gook to me, and I'm already troubleshooting Netatalk 3 it is.
>
> You can use '/etc/rc.local' for this purpose. It is there for exactly such
> things. Just put your command(s) in there but keep the last line 'exit 0'
> as
> last line intact.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Thilo

I've placed my command in rc.local.  I'll see what happens the next time I
boot the server.  Thanks.

I then ran "locate usercommands", and deleted all instances of the
filename.  They were here:
/etc/init.d/usercommands
/etc/rc0.d/K01usercommands
/etc/rc1.d/K01usercommands
/etc/rc2.d/S21usercommands
/etc/rc3.d/S21usercommands
/etc/rc4.d/S21usercommands
/etc/rc5.d/S21usercommands
/etc/rc6.d/K01usercommands
/var/lib/update-rc.d/usercommands

Then I ran "aptitude upgrade host" (there being an update for this
available) and I still get error messages relating to nfs-kernel-server:

>>CODE<<
Setting up nfs-kernel-server (1:1.2.2-4squeeze2) ...
insserv: Service nfs-common has to be enabled to start service
nfs-kernel-server
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing nfs-kernel-server (--configure):
configured to not write apport reports
                                      Setting up host
(1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze10) ...
 nfs-kernel-server
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up nfs-kernel-server (1:1.2.2-4squeeze2) ...
insserv: Service nfs-common has to be enabled to start service
nfs-kernel-server
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing nfs-kernel-server (--configure):
 nfs-kernel-server
>>\CODE<<

So, the LSB error is absent, but the nfs-kernel-server error still exists.
 Clearly they're not connected, and I'm not sure how necessary moving my
command to rc.local actually was.

I then ran "/etc/init.d/nfs-common start" and used aptitude to upgrade
another package, and received the exact same error messages - oddly it
still says, "Service nfs-common has to be enabled to start service
nfs-kernel-server" even though I checked and idmapd and statd (the
processes initiated by the previous init command) were definitely running.

So: what should I try now?