Re: Tiling window manager based desktop environment (was: Re: MICROSOFT HIRED THESE PEOPLE TO SABOTAGE OPEN SOURCE)

berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 09.04.2013 00:58, Joel Roth a écrit :
> >berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> >>Now, I am not using a DE anymore, and also planning about creating a
> >>DE based on a tiling WM and minimalistic tools that you can use in
> >>keyboard only.
> >
> >There are a lot of tiling WMs to choose from:
> >
> >https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Comparison_of_Tiling_Window_Managers
> >
> >I've been using StumpWM in the default configuration
> >and mostly happy with it.
> >
> >I'd like to know what you're planning to add!
> >
> >Cheers,
>
> Ah, a more serious post :) (honestly, I've taken some great fun to
> write the one I just sent in reply to Ralf, but at my discharge (is
> it the right word?) I was more than 3 hours late at home because of
> problems on train... apologies, guys, for the out-of-thread and
> probably sad humor :))
>
> Yes, there are many tiling window manager. On my side, I am using I3
> for various reasons (the most important one is good default config
> and that it's easy to change).
>
> But a window manager is *not* a "full" desktop environment, and will
> never be while we will have no basic tools not duplicating their
> job:
> * file managers have tabs (even stacking: what do you think are
> taskbar?)
> * terminal emulators also
> * text editors (like vim) often implement their own WM
> * browsers (firefox, chromium....) have WM or at least tabs
> * ...
>
> Another problem which forbid us to call a TWM a DE is that they have
> no centralized configuration center able to manage the tools which
> are, in my opinion, the basic tools we use everyday: text editor,
> file manager, file viewer, web browser...
>
> So we have disparate collections of tools implementing the same
> features (window managers, scripting system to simulate a DE -vim is
> able to be configured as an IDE, as example-) and with no easy
> possibility of synchronized configuration.
>
> What would I want to add?
> Replacement for bloatwares like vim (yes, I guess that it is quite
> uncommon to see someone write something like that, but if one
> disagree, just explain me why it re implements a window management
> mechanism, a copy/paste mechanism and other stuff which are made by
> other tools like, for example, screen, and which makes it hard to
> use correctly in a X server? For me, a bloatware is a tool which
> does things which should be managed by other specialized tools.) or
> i3 (the bar it have at bottom should not be managed explicitly, but
> by another software, am I wrong?) and a tool to synchronize
> configurations (I would like that my system understand that when I
> am CTRL+T I want a new instance of the application which have the
> focus in a new tab or in a split container, according to my choice,
> choice which should be managed by the tiling window manager).
>
> Do you know what is most funny in my (voluntarily stronger than
> [...]

Sounds like you've got a Big Picture(tm) vision to create!

For me, the takeaway is i3.

It looks like an improvement over twm, fvwm and stumpwm
(which I have used) and others that I tried and rejected for
various reasons. (I was never attracted to the top-heavy
DEs).

The screencast[1] explains the rationale for the design
decisions, and development is active.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnYN2CTb1hM

--
Joel Roth