Re: Help diagnosing USB disk issue?

Have you updated all of your usb drivers on that trouble machine yet?
If memory serves update-usb-ids ought to do that for you.  Run by root
or something like root it's a script.  Also, shut the trouble box down
and leave it off for an entire minute then reboot.  Finally maybe
download the usbmount package and have that package run and see what it
finds for you.  Try lsbusb -v too.  Then lsscsi -v and see if you have
any new scsi drives.  The usb drive may have moved to one of these.

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013, Brian Flaherty wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have two laptops:
> - Lenovo X201 running Debian unstable, kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 (also has 3.2.0-3-amd64 and 2.6.32-5-amd64)
> - Thinkpad X31 running an out-of-date Debian unstable, kernel 3.2.0-2-486 (haven't turned this
>  one on in a while and consequently haven't updated packages)
>
> Also have a 600GB LaCie external hard disk. When I plug the disk's usb cable into the X201 (up-to-date), the laptop notices nothing. The disk does start doing stuff, but no acknowledgment in dmesg or lsusb. Plugged the disk in to a Mac machine, which recognized it. On the mac, I reformatted it
>  to vfat. Plugged it into the X201, still no response on the computer.
>
> I plugged the same harddrive into my old X31 running the old kernel and it recognized it as /dev/sdb1. I ran badblocks (for hours) and it said everything was fine. I plugged it into
>  the X201 and still nothing.
>
> A further troubleshooting attempt, I noticed that on the X31, uhci-hcd was in the list of loaded kernel modules. It wasn't on the X201. I modprobed it, but still nothing. I rebooted the X201 to an old kernel (2.6.32-5-amd64), but still nothing.
>
> Just to try again, I restarted X31, plugged in the harddrive and it was recognized right away. I noticed that the X31 list of modules had one called uas in the usb system. The module uas isn't in 3.2.0-4, but is in 3.2.0-3, so I rebooted the X201 into kernel 3.2.0-3, modprobed uas (and uhci-hcd, for good measure), but still not recognizing the disk.
>
> Last, all this time, the X201 was in a docking station. I removed it, rebooted and tried again, but still nothing from the X201 upon connecting the harddrive.
>
> Any thoughts on what the problem is or how I can diagnose it?
>
> Thanks for your time!

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Microsoft, windows is accessible. why do blind people need screen readers?