Re: Firefox is too eager

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2013-03-14 19:43 +0100, Joel Roth wrote:
>
>> There are some recent behaviors that I find invasive:
>>
>> When I open a link in a new tab, I often get a new
>> window as well, frequently to the same site, that
>> I have to close.
>>
>> Some are windows from news sites, asking me to subscribe.
>>
>> When I roll over a link, it often pops up a window,
>> small or large, that I have to close.
>>
>> I feel I am not in control (sort a Windows/Mac thing
>> where the behavior is what the developer wants to
>> give me) not what I specifically ask for.
>>
>> What are my alternatives to get a more user-driven experience?
>> Is this all coming from Javascript?
>
> Quite possible, depending on the sites you visit.

Sounds really unlikely to me. I think there is either corruption or
possibly malware, if it was Windows I would absolutely say malware...

Under preferences -> content "block pop-up windows" should be checked
by default, that should stop the majority.

Try starting Firefox from the command line:
firefox -ProfileManager

You will get the profile manager window, please create a new one and
see if you have similar issues.

> Turn off JavaScript.  If that is too invasive, install the Adblock Plus
> and NoScript extensions.

Ad-Block Plus and NoScript are always good ideas.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers