Firefox is too eager

Hi list,

There are some recent behaviors that I find invasive:

When I open a link in a new tab, I often get a new
window as well, frequently to the same site, that
I have to close.

Some are windows from news sites, asking me to subscribe.

When I roll over a link, it often pops up a window,
small or large, that I have to close.

I feel I am not in control (sort a Windows/Mac thing
where the behavior is what the developer wants to
give me) not what I specifically ask for.

What are my alternatives to get a more user-driven experience?
Is this all coming from Javascript?  Is there a general way to solve
the issue, or do I need to research specific add-ons for
popups, rollovers, etc., etc.

I already use and like links2 for some purposes.

Thanks,

Joel
--
Joel Roth