Re: Debian Wheezy Grub Problem

On 2013-03-13 12:59 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 00:28 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:00:35AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> > The automation for GRUB2 is crap, edit the grub.cfg manually, then you
>> > also could tidy up grub.cfg and get rid of all the nonsense.

For anyone who actually thinks about following Ralf's advice: if you do
that, it is also necessary to divert /usr/sbin/update-grub and replace
it with something harmless, say a symlink to /bin/true.  Otherwise the
local changes to grub.cfg will be overwritten.

>> root@tal:~# ls -al /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>> -r--r--r-- 1 root root 3356 Mar  1 22:53 /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>> Come on now Ralf, you know better than to offer advice like that.
>
> I'm serious and I guess in this case my opinion for a change isn't
> eccentric. It's a bad fashion, that things we once configured by one
> file, now should be configured by several files.

This is not bad fashion, but rather a useful (and often the only sane)
way for multiple packages to add configuration snippets without stomping
on each other and on the local admin's changes.

> GRUB isn't an exception.

The grub.cfg file is special in that it's generated from other files.
Part of the reason is that it lives in /boot and not /etc.

> Idiotic for many Debian based distros is, that it could be, that e.g.
> audio priorities are set by
>
> /etc/security/limits-conf and
> /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf with different values, at the same
> time.

There does not seem to be a package in Debian which ships
/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf?  At least apt-file does not find any.
And certainly packages must not touch /etc/security/limits.conf, since
that file is owned by libpam-modules.

> xorg.conf today often is split too and well,

There is no xorg.conf at all by default these days, thankfully.

Cheers,
       Sven