Kernel stability relation to HW-specific code?

Hello,

slightly OT, maybe... (specific to kernel, not Debian).

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:03:24 -0300
"Joao Luis Meloni Assirati" <assirati@nonada.if.usp.br> wrote:
> Squeeze is now more than 2 years old and in this period I
> installed and administered dozens of debian computers. I had
> the oportunity to see lots of crashes not caused by hardware
> failure, almost all of them related to video or wifi drivers,
> i.e. still related to hardware. I don't recall to find any
> "purely algorithmic" kernel crash or panic in the last few
> years.

Just curious:  How would one draw a line between error "related
to hardware" and "purely algorithmic"?

I'm no kernel expert, but as I understand it, it's basically a
layer between applications and hardware.  From that point of
view, error in kernel not related to hardware seems to me as a
rare (if not impossible) thing...

I don't mean to bicker, I'm just wondering if it would make any
sense to divide kernel code that is more closely related to
hardware (like drivers) and more generic code, in attempt to
measure stability of these parts separately.

Thanks,
aL.