I think D-I is recommending unnecessary non-free firmware, where do I take this?

I've been using Debian for a long time on and off, and I've been using
it as my primary (and only) OS for about a year now on a relatively
new computer. While I've had issues, they've never been anything that
couldn't be fixed by doing a little reading and learning. I'm no
expert, but I think I've found something that I should file as a bug
report somewhere, but I don't know whether it really qualifies or what
the protocol for that is.

I have some beef with the Debian Installer. This problem existed when
I installed my current system using the Squeeze D-I back in April 2012,
and it exists in the current RC1 D-I for Wheezy.

The problem is that it recommends non-free firmware that is not needed
for networking functionality. I was prompted at installation for
needed firmware; it asked me to provide "rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw" on an
external USB or floppy or whatnot. At the time I thought it was
necessary for installation, so I got the non-free "firmware-realtek"
package, which contains the file in question, and loaded it up on a
USB during installation. I selected that yes I did have it, and while
I don't fully remember the process that I went through last April, I
wound up with "firmware-realtek" installed.

Today I installed Wheezy with the RC1 D-I on a spare partition with
the intention of upgrading to sid, and during installation I decided
to just select "No" when presented with "do you have this
firmware". Installation worked fine... and so did networking. When the
kernel changed and the initramfs was updated, I got a slew of warnings
about POSSIBLE missing firmware (below), but I still don't seem to need the
firmware.

Here is my "lspci |grep Eth" output:

$ lspci |grep Eth
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)

Here are the warnings I get with update-initramfs:

# update-initramfs -u
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168f-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168f-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for module r8169

What's the deal? I think that there are a number of Realtek cards that
might need non-free firmware, but it doesn't seem that mine is one of
them. I've safely uninstalled the "firmware-realtek" package and
rebooted with no ill effects on my current wheezy system. I'm not sure
what the next step here is, or whether this is somehow *supposed* to
be what the D-I is doing and I'm mistaken somehow. All questions
and advice are welcome.

--
Aubrey

"There are two types of people in the world: those who
  can extrapolate from incomplete data."