Re: Not for me.

On 03/04/2013 02:44 PM, João Luis Meloni Assirati wrote:
Em 04-03-2013 17:09, Mark Filipak escreveu:
On 2013/3/4 2:35 PM, João Luis Meloni Assirati wrote:
So you cannot reproduce the bug, right?

I didn't try, João Luis.

For you, I will.

No, not for me. This list is archived and new Debian users may read your postings and conclude that the GUI installer does not work or has lower quality. In fact, they may think that the whole Debian is low quality because your comments are all derogatory. After being able to install Debian with the kind and patient help of some list members, it is only fair that you contribute back giving the recipe on how to reproduce the bug or admit that it was your fault and the bug does not exist at all.

It will take me an hour or two.

It took much more that two man-hour to help you.

This experience has brought me a realization - every problem comes with an opportunity in one of its hands, isn't that true?

Oh yes, I'm sure that some people learned a lot here.

Linux is not a GUI-OS. It's an X-Windows host. There's a big difference. The primary interaction with the Windows kernel is through GUIs. The primary interaction with the Linux kernel is through the command line. That's why Linux seems so hostile, and that realization should point the way to making it friendlier. Of primary importance: The first impression Linux makes during installation.

How can someone who did not try the standard install tools come to that conclusion? You are simply wrong and leading others to err.

João Luis.

Not to mention off the mark. Most desktop-based Linux distributions have plenty enough X11-based tools available to keep a lot of users from having to open a terminal emulator unless they absolutely have to.

But so what? I personally think the "ooh, command line, therefore inferior" mentality is only really put forward by people who an inferior understanding of how system software works. GUIs are 99.9% there to make things "easy." And usually in doing so it's through the sacrifice of some *very* powerful usage. But when it comes to sheer flexibility, automation and speed? A flexible command line is way more powerful than a GUI.

Saying that, I'm a KDE SC user on Arch Linux, and use Debian on my server. I don't use Windows unless I have to (And most certainly *not* on my server. I find Windows should not be on servers, ever.), and so far I have very few use cases requiring Windows. But I also have yakuake put in as a very speedy way to get a shell and do something that'd take me a little longer and restrict my options through a GUI.

You can still run a very successful desktop system on Linux without installing Xorg server at any point. The only command line that hasn't modernized even a little bit is DOS.

By the way, to Mark, neither the GUI or text-based installer are that hard to use. They only are if you stubbornly refuse to read documentation and treat those who help you with hostility.

Regards.