Re: Help please - install the WiFi driver

On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 21:14:32 -0500
Mark Filipak <markfilipak.linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2013/3/3 8:16 PM, Mr G wrote:
> -snip-
> > $ id
> -snip-
> > $ sudo updatedb
> -snip-
> > $ mlocate firmware-iwlwfi.deb
> -snip-
> > $ pwd
>
> Look at the terminal session below
>
> =====
> mark@MarkFilipak:/media/usb8/Setup/Debian 6.0.6 64-bit/Packages$ su
> Password:
>
> root@MarkFilipak:/media/usb8/Setup/Debian 6.0.6 64-bit/Packages# dpkg
> -i firmware-iwlwifi.deb dpkg: error processing firmware-iwlwifi.deb
> (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory
>   firmware-iwlwifi.deb
>
> root@MarkFilipak:/media/usb8/Setup/Debian 6.0.6 64-bit/Packages# dpkg
> -i firmware-iwlwifi_0.28+squeeze1_all.deb Selecting previously
> deselected package firmware-iwlwifi. (Reading database ... 68697
> files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking
> firmware-iwlwifi (from firmware-iwlwifi_0.28+squeeze1_all.deb) ...
> Setting up firmware-iwlwifi (0.28+squeeze1) ... =====
>
> I don't think it's necessary for me to 'mlocate' or 'pwd', do you?
> 'firmware-iwlwifi.deb' is not right. It has to be
> 'firmware-iwlwifi_0.28+squeeze1_all.deb'
>
> This is the first real progress I've made since the installation
> succeeded. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Now, regarding a network
> manager, the terminal session below is from about 2 hours ago. Can
> you help with it?
>
> =====
> root@MarkFilipak:/media/usb8/Setup/Debian 6.0.6 64-bit/Packages# dpkg
> -i wicd_1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3_all.deb Selecting previously deselected
> package wicd. (Reading database ... 68689 files and directories
> currently installed.) Unpacking wicd (from
> wicd_1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3_all.deb) ... dpkg: dependency problems
> prevent configuration of wicd: wicd depends on wicd-daemon (=
> 1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3); however: Package wicd-daemon is not installed.
>   wicd depends on wicd-gtk (= 1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3) | wicd-curses (=
> 1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3) | wicd-cli (= 1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3) |
> wicd-client; however: Package wicd-gtk is not installed. Package
> wicd-curses is not installed. Package wicd-cli is not installed.
>    Package wicd-client is not installed.
> dpkg: error processing wicd (--install):
>   dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>   wicd
> =====
>
> There are uninstalled dependencies:
> wicd-daemon (= 1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3)
> wicd-gtk (= 1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3)
> wicd-curses (= 1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3)
> wicd-cli (= 1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3)
> wicd-client
>
> When I do a google search for "1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3" I find lots of
> stuff (too much stuff), including Python - gee, I've written Python
> server code - is that needed for this? Python aside, I don't know
> [...]

No, it means the 1.7.... version of each package named. Dependencies are
usually of the form 'needs this or later version', so you don't know
for sure if you don't have those packages at all, or just that your
installed version is too old. Since wicd wasn't installed, the former
is more likely.

This is why we don't use dpkg unless we have to, and at the moment, you
have to. The apt tools all work on complete Debian repositories, and
mostly can work out and load all the dependencies of something you ask
for. dpkg can only install the file you give it, so it just tells you
when there are missing dependencies.

The Debian website can tell you full details of each package, and what
its dependencies are, but it's hard work doing it that way, one file
at a time. Do you still have the install medium, and can you access
that from the Debian system? If so, most of what you want will be on
there.

The most important file in the apt system is /etc/apt/sources.list. It
should contain lines showing which repositories are in use, mostly in
pairs, beginning 'deb' and 'deb-src' for compiled and source code
packages. At the top of the list should be two commented lines that
refer to the installation medium, they get commented out when the
installation is complete, and working Internet repositories added. Try
uncommenting those two lines, plugging in the install medium and seeing
if the apt tools give you what you need. If it was a CD, there would be
no doubt, but the uncertainties of USB mounting and naming may still
give you a bit of trouble.

There was once just a Debian CD1, which contained nearly everything a
standard installation would need, but as software got bigger, and fewer
people wanted Gnome or KDE, the ISOs have changed in nature. So I'm not
certain that your installation medium does contain wicd and its
dependencies, but that is the way I would bet.

*  *  *

OK, I've looked, wicd-daemon (server) and wicd-gtk (the GUI client) are
on the CD image, and they are the only actual dependencies (wicd is
itself a virtual package, containing no code itself, and brings in the
daemon and one of the clients, -gtk in this case as -cli and -curses
aren't on the CD). wicd-curses and wicd-cli are command line clients,
and are alternatives to wicd-gtk. So as long as you can get access to
your install medium and uncomment the sources.list lines, you should be
able to use apt-get or aptitude to install whatever is on the medium.

The first thing to try is:

apt-get -f wicd

where the -f is 'try to fix dependency problems', and should probably
sort out the current dpkg installation error and bring in the
dependencies.

With the apt tools, you don't need the full name of the files as you do
with dpkg, just 'wicd' will do.

For reference, here is the Debian package page for wicd:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/wicd
All of this information is available through the apt tools in one way
or another, but the web page gives a good overview.

While you have Net access,
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.7/i386/list-cd/debian-6.0.7-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.list.gz
is a zipped list of all the packages on the CD, which may come in
useful until you get Debian Net access sorted and access to the
repositories. Comment out the installation medium sources.list lines
again then, of course.

--
Joe