Re: OT - Convert output of byte count to GB count?

Jerry Stuckle a écrit :
> On 2/16/2013 12:52 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>> Let me rephrase it. Can you provide an example of a freshly created
>> filesystem of a common size with an overhead of at least 7%, i.e. with
>> the free space being less than 93 % of the raw size ?
>
> How about answering my question.  Exactly which disk do you have that
> you claim has 40,000,000,000 bytes?

I just did. Will you now answer mine please ?

> And depending on your disk, almost any fs, including ext2 and ntfs, can
> have 7% overhead.  Even the old FAT could have more than that.

FWIW, I just created ext2, ext3 and ext4 filesystems on a ~10 GB
partition with default settings, and the overhead was roughly 3% in the
worst case (ext3 and ext4 due to the journal file). Of course if you
force a huge journal file size or inode count, I guess you can reach 7%.