Re: Logging ISP Download Speed.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:30:05 -0700, Weaver wrote:

> On Fri, August 24, 2012 7:47 am, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Ping: 69 ms
>>> Download: 27.71 Mb/s
>>> Upload: 2.28 Mb/s
>>>
>>> Regards and thanks,
>>
>> Holly cow! That numbers are not good at all.
>
> It has been a few days since their last contact. In the interim I have
> watched the speed factor improve. I'm now getting a download speed of
> 93.51 Mb/s.

Ah, that number looks more normal.

>> - Ensure you are selecting a server that is close to your location
>> (whether in doubt, let the app to automatically select the best for
>> you).
>
> The server is getting selected by the app and it's in the city I am
> living in.

Okay.

>> - Run the test at regular intervals, on different hours.
>
> I've been doing that and feeding the figures back to them. They have
> their own server for speed testing and there has been some disparity in
> the figures.
> That has been fed back to them also.

I prefer to use a different speed test other than the one my provider
suggests, just to have something to compare with (and also because I
don't trust them too much...).

>> - Restart the modem-router, sometime they're simply "clogged".
>
> Yes, I have done that on a number of occasions. I'm quite satisfied that
> there is no bottleneck at this end. Everything is a minimum of 100 Mb
> capable.

Fine.

>> - What kind of connection technology (cable, ftth, vdsl...) is your ISP
>> providning you? What's the up/down speed you have paid for?
>
> Cable and an upper limit of 100 Mb/s. They advertise 2 Mb/s upload,
> which is less than half the international average.
> As somebody that would be classified as a typical home-based end user,
> that doesn't concern me however.

Ah, then the "upload" speed rate you got was very good.

One question... cable operators also promote/promise a 100% of the
contracted speed? You know that for ADSL the norm is a guarantee the 10%
of the hired speed (for fiber is usually the 100%) but as I never workes
with cable I can't tell :-?

>> - Is your local network using a gigabit infrastructure? This means
>> ethernet cabling has to be at least Cat 5e or Cat6, and also the modem-
>> router as well any other additional device you may have (e.g., ONT for
>> fiber links).
>
> No fibre, although a national roll-out for that service has begun (along
> with compromised routers, no doubt).
> Gigabit infrastructure is what it is advertised at present.

I mean in your premises, at your home (your computer's network card, your
switch, cabling...) it has to be all Gigabit. For ADSL using ethernet is
fine but when you are reaching higher speeds is better to use Gigabit to
avoid bottlenecks at your side.

>> - Forget wireless devices if you want to get the best numbers for your
>> high speed connection.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that one.
> Still a lover of wires.

Good :-)

>> - Look at the modem-router for the real speed it is synced.
>
> They supply the router - a tailored Netgear CG3100. I can't find any
> reference to sync.

Mmm, that looks like a router not the modem. This value uses to be
available at the modem but to be sincere, I don't know how the cable
modems can be accessed (should they can), you will have to look at the
manual.

As a side note, remember that a cable connections are shared between many
people, not just you (that's why I prefer fiber or ADSL :-P), so unless
your provider does a good job in load balancing and has good equipment at
their exchange, you can experience these sudden speed drop downs from
time to time.

> If they maintain a reasonable download rate, I'll hold off on the media
> campaign.
> They have been advised.
> Regards and thanks,

Well put! :-)