Re: Logging ISP Download Speed.

On Fri, August 24, 2012 7:47 am, Camaleón wrote:

> (...)
>
>>> Can you please provide the results of this speed test?
>>>
>>> http://www.speedtest.net/
>>>
>>> I get:
>>>
>>> Ping: 3 ms
>>> Download: 86.09 Mbps
>>> Upload: 9.96 Mbps
>>
>> I get:
>>
>> Ping: 69 ms
>> Download: 27.71 Mb/s
>> Upload: 2.28 Mb/s
>>
>> Regards and thanks,
>
> Holly cow! That numbers are not good at all.

It has been a few days since their last contact.
In the interim I have watched the speed factor improve.
I'm now getting a download speed of 93.51 Mb/s.

> - Ensure you are selecting a server that is close to your location
> (whether in doubt, let the app to automatically select the best for you).

The server is getting selected by the app and it's in the city I am living
in.

> - Run the test at regular intervals, on different hours.

I've been doing that and feeding the figures back to them.
They have their own server for speed testing and there has been some
disparity in the figures.
That has been fed back to them also.

> - Restart the modem-router, sometime they're simply "clogged".

Yes, I have done that on a number of occasions.
I'm quite satisfied that there is no bottleneck at this end.
Everything is a minimum of 100 Mb capable.

> - What kind of connection technology (cable, ftth, vdsl...) is your ISP
> providning you? What's the up/down speed you have paid for?

Cable and an upper limit of 100 Mb/s.
They advertise 2 Mb/s upload, which is less than half the international
average.
As somebody that would be classified as a typical home-based end user,
that doesn't concern me however.

> - Is your local network using a gigabit infrastructure? This means
> ethernet cabling has to be at least Cat 5e or Cat6, and also the modem-
> router as well any other additional device you may have (e.g., ONT for
> fiber links).

No fibre, although a national roll-out for that service has begun (along
with compromised routers, no doubt).
Gigabit infrastructure is what it is advertised at present.

> - Forget wireless devices if you want to get the best numbers for your
> high speed connection.

Yes, I'm aware of that one.
Still a lover of wires.

> - Look at the modem-router for the real speed it is synced.

They supply the router - a tailored Netgear CG3100.
I can't find any reference to sync.

If they maintain a reasonable download rate, I'll hold off on the media
campaign.
They have been advised.
Regards and thanks,

Weaver.
--
"The truth is, there is no Islamic army or terrorist group
 called Al Qaida. And any informed intelligence officer knows