Re: Top and bottom posting - again!! was: Re: package for dropbox

Lisi Reisz grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On Sunday 30 December 2012 19:49:14 Dick Thomas wrote:
>> okay will bottom post, (like it matters)
>
> Yes, it does.  Top posting makes the thread really difficult, if not
> impossible, to follow.

Yup, that was the point I was trying to make.

>> when gmail mobile client hides the post making a bottom / threaded post
>> impossible
>> there is no need to be a* about it

For the record, I wasn't being one, I was trying to be informative.  I
don't know you, I don't know what your habits are.  There are LOTS of
people out there who don't know, or don't "think that it matters," or
*are* being "a*s" because they just don't care.  I was simply pointing
out why it does matter, hoping to be informative.

Trust me, if I ever *am* being an "a*", it will be brutally obvious (I'm
not that subtle <grin>).

> It isn't just the mobile client on which gmail makes bottom posting and
> correct threading well nigh impossible.  Gmail is a marvellous archive, but
> an awful email client.
>
> One way round this problem that some people use, is to apologise for top
> posting, and lay the blame where it belongs, in this case on Gmail's
> shoulders.

Exactly.  Knowing why something is/isn't being done goes a long way
towards being more understanding of it.

I use K-9 Mail on my Android phone because quite frankly, I find that as
a mail client to let me access and send from all my various accounts, it
just rocks.  Unfortunately, when it comes to making a reply, it *sucks*
rocks. :-)  It really doesn't make it easy for you to do the
quote-reply-quote-reply thing.  So I've got an automatic signature line
that it sends out, explaining that the message was sent from the phone
app and to please excuse the lack of usual quote-reply conventions.
That way, I don't get people lecturing *me* on the subject. <grin>

So, Dick:  Sorry to hear about the sucky mobile mail client for GMail, I
feel for ya. :-)  And sorry if I offended; it was not my intent.

                --Dave