Re: package for dropbox

On 30 December 2012 19:41, David Guntner <davidg@akamail.net> wrote:
When people have been posting to a discussion thread using (literally)
decades-old conventions for quote-and-reply, it really mucks up the read
of that discussion when a message gets posted where the person replying
decides to top-post his reply above all the others.  Just sayin'....

Dick Thomas grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On 30 December 2012 18:26, David Guntner <davidg@akamail.net> wrote:
>>
>> Just as an asside, dropbox.com has a Debian .deb package that can be
>> downloaded from it, as well as a Python script that can be used to
>> control it from the shell.
>>
>> That might be worth looking into as well....

[moved to where it should have been....]
> I've found the debian repo package doesn't work, it installs but when
> run the daemon says it's install incorrectly and forwards me to the
> dropbox website. this might of changed since I last tried but it
> might be better to get it from their website

Don't know about the Debian repo (the only one I could find was for
nautilus-dropbox; and yes I know that you don't have to install Nautilus
in order to use it :-) ).  Since I use Dropbox to sync files for my
other computers, I decided to install it on my Debian squeeze box and
see how things went.

I downloaded the .deb package from dropbox.com and installed:

> # dpkg -i dropbox_1.4.0_amd64.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package dropbox.
> (Reading database ... 213217 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking dropbox (from dropbox_1.4.0_amd64.deb) ...
> Setting up dropbox (1.4.0) ...
> Please restart all running instances of Nautilus, or you will experience problems. i.e. nautilus --quit
> Dropbox installation successfully completed! You can start Dropbox from your applications menu.
> Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
> Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
> Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...

(Again, Nautilus is *not* needed in order to run Dropbox.  It's just
warning you to exit and restart it if you're using it.)
So far, so good.  Then I dropped back to my regular user account and
started it up....

> $ dropbox start
> Starting Dropbox...
> The Dropbox daemon is not installed!
> Run "dropbox start -i" to install the daemon
> [davidg@janet Downloads]$ dropbox start -i
> Starting Dropbox...
> Dropbox is the easiest way to share and store your files online. Want to learn more? Head to http://www.dropbox.com/
>
> In order to use Dropbox, you must download the proprietary daemon.
> Note: python-gpgme is not installed, we will not be able to verify binary signatures. [y/n] ^C

Ok, did a cntrl-C to get out and went back to root for a second to
install the python-gpgme package, then restarted it again:

> $ dropbox start -i
> Starting Dropbox...
> Dropbox is the easiest way to share and store your files online. Want to learn more? Head to http://www.dropbox.com/
>
> In order to use Dropbox, you must download the proprietary daemon. [y/n] y
> Downloading Dropbox... 100%
> Unpacking Dropbox... 100%
> Dropbox isn't running!
> Done!

At this point, I checked and found that in my home directory were two
directories, .dropbox and .dropbox-dist - the later being where it
installed the "proprietary daemon" and supporting libraries.  The
.dropbox directory looks like it's got settings and a couple of named
UNIX sockets.  Checking the .deb package that had been installed
earlier, I found that /usr/bin/dropbox is a python script that handle
manipulating (and downloading if needed) that binary.  Cool beans.  Ok,
so *now* to start it up!

> $ dropbox start -i
> To link this computer to a dropbox account, visit the following url:
> https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link?host_id=6ff61b77b102c00f0dc930b88fd37563

Ok, not quite. :-)  I posted that URL into my web browser, which asked
me to login with my regular username/password.  Once I had logged in, it
asked me for my password one more time to link the computer to the
account.  It said all was now well.  Tried to start it again....

> $ dropbox start -i
> To link this computer to a dropbox account, visit the following url:
> https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link?host_id=6ff61b77b102c00f0dc930b88fd37563

Hmm, I thought that was odd, given that I had already done that.
Decided to check on its status....

> $ ps -ef|egrep dropbox
> davidg   27179     1  4 11:03 ?        00:00:20 /home/davidg/.dropbox-dist/dropbox

Aha!  So it *is* running, despite the odd message.  Let's see if that's
actually doing anything....

> $ dropbox status
> Downloading 17 files (LAN) (1,498 kB/sec, 3 min left)

So it *is* working!  Huzzah!  Checked, and sure enough, there's a
Dropbox directory under my home directory....

> $ ls -la Dropbox
> total 99396
> drwx------  7 davidg users      4096 Dec 30 11:14 ./
> drwxr-xr-x 65 davidg users      4096 Dec 30 11:25 ../
> -rw-r--r--  1 davidg users    151902 Nov  2 19:32 Battery_Meter_V2.1.gadget
> -rw-r--r--  1 davidg users    162459 Dec 15 23:02 Drives_Meter_V4.1.gadget
> -rw-r--r--  1 davidg users        29 Dec 30 11:08 .dropbox
> drwxr-xr-x  2 davidg users      4096 Dec 30 11:14 .dropbox.cache/
> -rw-r--r--  1 davidg users    246000 Jun 12  2012 Getting Started.pdf
> drwxr-xr-x  3 davidg users      4096 Dec 30 11:09 Photos/
> drwxr-xr-x  2 davidg users      4096 Dec 30 11:09 Public/

Which is, in fact what I see when I check my dropbox directory on the
Windows machines that I have linked up with it.  So despite the rather
odd message with the "dropbox start -i" command (which I now realize the
-i is only needed the first time you start it up to install the daemon,
and it just gives you that link message each time).  I've noted the man
page says there's a "dropbox autostart [y/n]" command available to have
it start up the daemon automatically when you login.  That could be
handy. ;-)

Well, for those people who have been talking about how to get Dropbox
running on Debian, I hope they will have found my "mindless overkill"
level of detail in this message to have been of some help. <grin>

                  --Dave

okay will bottom post, (like it matters)
when gmail mobile client hides the post making a bottom / threaded post impossible
there is no need to be a* about it

just sayin'

--
About.me http://about.me/dick.thomas
Blog: www.xpd259.co.uk

NOTE: This email and any information contained within or attached in a separate file is confidential and intended solely for the Individual to whom it is addressed. The information or data included is solely for the purpose indicated or previously agreed. Any information or data included with this e-mail remains the property of Richard Thomas and the recipient will refrain from utilising the information for any purpose other than that indicated and upon request will destroy the information and remove it from their records.

If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. No warranties or assurances are made in relation to the safety and content of this e-mail and any attachments. No liability is accepted for any consequences arising from it.

If you have received this email in error please notify me as soon as possible.