Re: Tools to retrieve images from dead hard drive and/or deleted partitions

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM,  <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:

> 1)
> I have a hard disk (1Tb, the bigger) which gave me many errors when I am
> trying to read it. It makes it very slow to even read, but I've been able to
> determine that it contains jpg images with a classic file browser. I did not
> managed to copy any data on a safer place...
> I am feared I will not even be able to retrieve one photo with my
> conventional hardware... but maybe some of you will have an idea?

If this drive is giving errors, you might try sticking it in a plastic
bag and putting it in the freezer for a couple of hours. It may give
you some life out of a dying drive. I used this method on an old drive
(this was back around 2000 or so), and was able to get enough life
back in it to pull the data. Here is a lifehacker article from 2010
which documents it:

http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

--b