Re: Installing a backported kernel on Squeeze at an early stage.

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 06:00:50 -0500 (EST), Lisi Reisz wrote:

> Happy New Year everyone!
>
> I have a problem which I know someone else had recently on the list and there
> was a (slightly complicated) solution.  But I am not succeeding in finding
> the thread.  PEBKAC, obviously, since I am sure that it is there.
>
> I want to install Squeeze on a box in/on which the on board network card is
> not recognised in Squeeze.
>
> The simple solution is just put a different network in the box temporarily
> while I install.  But this box is for a present, it is black, it comes
> without spare blanking plates, and those already there have to be snapped
> out, and cannot be replaced.  I am not keen to spoil the looks as it is a
> present.
>
> So could any kind soul point me at the relevant thread?  It was fairly recent.

I don't recall the thread to which you are referring, Lisi, but from the
subject line it sounds like the standard squeeze kernel does not contain the
necessary drivers you need for the built-in network card but a later kernel
does.  Is that right?  Yet you want to install squeeze and not wheezy?
I believe if it were me, I'd install wheezy, using the latest wheezy installer.
wheezy is already in the "frozen" state, and will probably become the stable
release in a couple of months anyway.  My wife's computer, which until recently
ran squeeze, recently had a problem.  The version of iceweasel which comes
with squeeze couldn't handle some upgrades that Yahoo made to their web mail
interface.  Fields were overlapping.  It was apparently a bug in iceweasel
or a new feature that the Yahoo site was exploiting that was not supported
in the old version of iceweasel.  I suppose that I could have installed a newer
version of iceweasel from backports, but due to the age of squeeze, I decided
to upgrade to wheezy.  Problem solved.

As an alternative, you might try a PCMCIA / PC card network adapter, if your
computer has a slot for these devices, or perhaps a USB network adapter that
squeeze supports.  Installing squeeze with the wheezy installer might work,
since the latest wheezy installer presumably uses a kernel that supports the
built-in network adapter.  But then, after installation, you will need to
boot your system in rescue mode to install a backported kernel, and the
procedure will be non-standard (i.e. wget and "dpkg -i", probably).  In short,
I'd install wheezy if I were you.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :