Re: Dead USB drive?

maybe Russell used Recuepro?
take a look here:
http://rescuepro.lc-technology-international-inc.qarchive.org/

Greez Hmark

2012/12/28 Russell L. Harris <rlharris@broadcaster.org>
* Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> [121227 06:18]:
> Do you think that 'Disk utility 2.30.1'  would be able to rescue a USB hard
> drive that has had Debian 6 accidentally installed on it, over the vital
> backups? The USB drive has just been sitting on the shelf for two years and
> not been used since the unfortunate incident.

I do not know; I had in view only the matter of resurrecting an
apparently-dead USB device, without concern for file recovery.

I discovered the utility by accident, a few months ago.  The Squeeze
installer installed the utility by default, but I never paid attention
to it until recently.

If your need is to recover files, perhaps you could make use of one of
the utilities created for recovering digital photographs from compact
flash or sd/hc devices.  A google search should turn up a number of
candidates.

I used such a utility about a year ago, but I have forgotten the name.
The problem with a file recovery utility is that it generally is
impossible to recover the original file name.  So you end up with a
directory full of recovered files, each with an arbitrary and
meaningless name (such as "E6Y9094E2093"); of course, each name is
unique.

RH