Re: Lightdm doesn't load

On 26/12/12 02:25 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
On 26/12/12 01:39 PM, Klistvud wrote:
Dne, 26. 12. 2012 18:56:28 je Frank McCormick napisal(a):
On 26/12/12 12:41 PM, Klistvud wrote:
Dne, 26. 12. 2012 18:25:41 je Frank McCormick napisal(a):

   What did you change. It's my understanding it should run "out of
the box"

Thanks

--
Cheers
Frank

It should, but it doesnt, at least in wheezy it doesn't. It gets stuck
somehow. I guess the runlevel services get messed up, especially if you
have GDM, XDM and/or other login managers installed as well. In my
case,
switching to a virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F1) and issuing:

# service lightdm restart

(as root) helped. You could try that, and -- in case of success -- just
put this line in root's crontab:

@reboot sleep 10; /etc/init.d/lightdm restart

   Nope.Didn't work here. Switching to a virtual console I issued
"startx"...and it did...bring up the Gnome desktop (not my default).
So it appears X is not even starting (that explains blank screen and
blinking cursor). The question is why does switching from GDM3 to
Lightdm cause X not to start ? I guess it's back to GDM3 for now.

Additional configuration commands to try (as root):

dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

If these don't do it, you could also try to manually edit the runlevels
by issuing:

sysv-rc-conf

and unticking gdm and/or gdm3 from runlevel 2. If sysv-rc-conf is not
installed, you'll have to install it first of course.

Caveat: I did all of the above and *still* lightdm won't start
automatically -- only after a "service lightdm restart"!

   I wassn't as lucky as you. I did all of the above...and I still end
up with a blank screen and a blinking cursor.

I will try Sharon's suggestions for config of lightdm.....

It's strange...there are very few serious bugs for lightdm listed....

   Well, they did it.....I changed only what she had changed in her
lightdm.conf...and it seems to be fine. Weird that it doesn't work as it was installed. The impression you get from the config file is that
most of the items are defaults...yet you have to uncomment them to get
it working.

Thank Sharon..you put an end to a very frustrating session and many many
reboots :)

--
Cheers
Frank