Re: Lightdm doesn't load

Dne, 26. 12. 2012 18:56:28 je Frank McCormick napisal(a):
On 26/12/12 12:41 PM, Klistvud wrote:
Dne, 26. 12. 2012 18:25:41 je Frank McCormick napisal(a):

   What did you change. It's my understanding it should run "out of
the box"

Thanks

--
Cheers
Frank

It should, but it doesnt, at least in wheezy it doesn't. It gets stuck somehow. I guess the runlevel services get messed up, especially if you have GDM, XDM and/or other login managers installed as well. In my case,
switching to a virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F1) and issuing:

# service lightdm restart

(as root) helped. You could try that, and -- in case of success -- just
put this line in root's crontab:

@reboot sleep 10; /etc/init.d/lightdm restart

Nope.Didn't work here. Switching to a virtual console I issued "startx"...and it did...bring up the Gnome desktop (not my default).
So it appears X is not even starting (that explains blank screen and
blinking cursor). The question is why does switching from GDM3 to Lightdm cause X not to start ? I guess it's back to GDM3 for now.

Additional configuration commands to try (as root):

dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

If these don't do it, you could also try to manually edit the runlevels by issuing:

sysv-rc-conf

and unticking gdm and/or gdm3 from runlevel 2. If sysv-rc-conf is not installed, you'll have to install it first of course.

Caveat: I did all of the above and *still* lightdm won't start automatically -- only after a "service lightdm restart"!

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.