Re: management tools?

Well, one thing I use is puppet to do configuration management. It's a
learning curve, but you can ensure essential packages are installed,
services are running and properly configured, and so forth.

Something I have been wanting to try, but haven't had time to mess
with is Foreman. That bridges the gap between bare metal/blank VM and
the point when you can hand the host off to puppet.