Re: ssh fails - SOLVED (was: Re: git pull fails with OpenSSL version mismatch error)

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 10:48:00AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 23 dec 12, 20:15:19, Joel Roth wrote:
> >
> > Ah, I didn't even think to try an apt-get upgrade.
> > I usually just upgrade apps individually as I need to...
> > an attitude based on (possibly) outdated fears of
> > getting stuck in between upgrades of C libraries
> > or other large-scale brokenness.
>
> IMVHO your method is less safer than 'apt-get upgrade' or
> 'aptitude safe-upgrade'.

I can not agree with you more.  But there seem to exist some myth on
this feeling of safe upgrade using partial upgrade.

With symbols file in the package, we as Debian seem to care library
compatibility issues when transitioning package from unstable to
testing.  But this manual method does not check such thing.

If anyone have suggestion to improve debian-reference to prevent people
to take such strategy, let me know.  Also, concrete case example of why
such method is less safer than 'apt-get upgrade' or 'aptitude
safe-upgrade', let us know.

Osamu