Re: Freeze accounts

Beco grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> Dear userix,
>
> I have a server with lots of students accounts, and some professors and admins.
>
> I wonder, what would be an easy way to freeze students access now,
> stopping them from logging via SSH, and reinstating them on February?
>
> They are part of a "group" if that helps.

The way I've always done it if I've needed to remove someone's access
without removing their account has been to just set their login shell to
/bin/false.  In many versions of Linux (including Debian), though,
there's /usr/sbin/nologin, which gives them a message saying the account
isn't available and then exits.

$ egrep davidg /etc/passwd
davidg:x:1000:100:David Guntner:/home/davidg:/bin/bash

That's me on my home system.  See the last field?  It sets the login
shell to /bin/bash.  All you have to do is edit /etc/passwd and change
that last field for the person you want to deny to /usr/sbin/nologin (if
you want them to get a message) or /bin/false (if you want it to just
silently deny them) and you're all set.

               --Dave