Re: Restarting Networking in Debian

Carlos Mennens <carloswill <at> gmail.com> writes:

> What is the deal now with 'restarting' networking services in Debian 5
> & Squeeze? I use to be able to run the command:
>
> /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> Now when I do so in Debian, I get a strange error:
>
> Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
> not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
> Reconfiguring network interfaces...done.
>
> Not to mention any changes I made to my static IP address in
> '/etc/network/interfaces' didn't take effect which leads me to believe
> the command I ran above didn't restart the network daemon or is not
> forcing it to look for changes.
>
> I asked on  the forums and I can't get a straight answer as to what is
> the official command in Debian to restart the networking daemon? There
> can't be six different answers and someone on the dev team has to have
> a official correct command to do something as simple as restarting
> networking.

Hello, I am probably too late to answer this question, but you are correct: both
"service networking restart" and "/etc/init.d/networking restart" do not run
correctly.  There are two easy options, though. 1st is so issue the same command
twice once as "service networking stop" and again as "service networking start".
 The second is the command to stop and then start, issued by the command
"service networking --full-restart".  As the name implies it is essentially the
same restart command, but it issues "start" and then "stop"

Steve