Re: Debian hosted mailserver client authentication issue

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 03:24:12AM -0800, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> i was trying to configure Posffix dovecat (imap) and sasl for client
> server communication.
> so far this is the best howto i found for the above configuration
> http://syslog.tv/2011/09/15/postfix-dovecot-imapimaps-sasl-maildir/
>
> after following this i can connect my outlook client with IMAP SSL to
> mailserver but mail sending is faild and this is the problem that i am
> i am here.

Be aware that SASL and SSL aren't the same thing.

> when i try to send an email my outlook give me that
>
> "Send test e-mail message: None of the authentication methods
> supported by this client are supported by your server."
>
> when i check /var/log/mail.info
> i found this
>
>  mailsrv postfix/smtpd[1164]: connect from ws-ykhan.XXXX.com[10.XX.XX.240]
> postfix/smtpd[1164]: lost connection after EHLO from
> ws-ykhan.XXXX.com[10.XX.XX.240]

This is Postfix complaining. Have you told it to use dovecot for
authentication? For example, I have:
  # SASL SMTP Authentication
  smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
  smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
  broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
  smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
  smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
  smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL will walk you
through getting postfix to talk to dovecot.

> note my dovecat mechanism set to = plain login as mentioned in the howto above

Are you able to receive mails correctly with Outlook? If so, you've
probably got dovecot working fine. If not, post the output of "doveconf
-n" here.